Thursday, May 20, 2010

As I said before, little did I know that I was about to meet the doctor that God had chosen for me. The weird part though, was that he was not the doctor that I expected to meet at the seminar. Instead, of meeting Dr. Trace Curry, in walked Dr. Dirk Rodriguez.

In the seminar, Dr. Rodriguez talked about the different types of surgery that he performs. He was very matter of fact about everything. There was no sugar coating anything. At times, I thought he had crawled in my head when he started talking about the fact that I had no social life. That I was discriminated against and that other doctors treated me badly because of my obesity. All of which were true. He then said, "That all of that would stop here, right now, tonight." He said that he would treat me with dignity. That was something most doctors that I had contact with did not do.

Then he said something that I had never heard before. Obesity is a TRUE MEDICAL CONDITION. A what? Did he just say, "Obesity is a true medical condition."? I swear I had never heard that before. I just thought I had let myself go and didn't care and was just so addicted to food that I couldn't stop eating and knew that I needed help. WOW! What an eye opener, I had a medical condition. Dr. Rodriguez explained more about what happens to the body once it hits a certain weight. That it really is necessary to have surgery to get healthier. By the end of the seminar my friend, Twyla, who was with me, looked at me and we both said "This is the place to be." So began my journey with the BEST doctor that God could find for me. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment