Friday, July 23, 2010

Walk from Obesity

Been a while since last I wrote. Many things have been happening. My friend, Shannon, and I are heading a committee to have a walk. We are organizing a "Walk from Obesity". I am very excited. We are going to have it at Ohio State. We are hoping to reach a lot of people. Who would have thought that 2 years after surgery, I would be organizing a walk. Certainly not me. When I first started my journey 2 years go, never in a million years did I ever think I would be able to go farther than a block. Last October I did my first 5K. How AWESOME is that!

The walk itself is a fund raiser for the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Foundation (AMBS Foundation) and the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC). The funds that are raised will go towards research and public education and awareness. This definitley is a worth while cause. More important to me though, is the chance to help someone to be able to do something that maybe they have never done before.

In this walk, the length that is suggested is 1 - 3 miles. I would really like to break that down even more. I would like to have a 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, and 3/4 mile. I want everybody to participate regardless of how far they can go. For some, 1 mile might be overwhelming, so why not break it down for them so that they can feel a sence of accomplishment even if they can only do 1/4 mile. The length is not what is important, it's getting out there and trying. I need to figure out a way to convey that to people as we go around to support groups and speak to them about this walk.We are hoping to have a special speaker and have a few give aways.

If your interested, go out to www.walkfromobesity.com to get more information and to find a walk that you can join in your area. If you are in Columbus, I would love to meet you and we can all walk together.

No comments:

Post a Comment